June 19, 2006

Gaming Steve Episode 56 - 06.19.2006

Louis Castle and Peter MooreNow this is a show! I got Peter Moore, I got a preview of the first RTS for the Xbox 360, I got a review of the Nintendo DS, I got an interview with the godfather of RTS, Louis Castle, I got you a detailed overview of Microsoft Game Studios in Seattle ... I got a lot. Enough with the talk, on with the show!

Gaming Steve Episode 56 Program

• 00:03:15 Game News:
    • Dungeons & Dragons Online goes solo.
    • Wii price and date to be announced ... by September.
    • EVE Online invades China big time.
    • Dragon's Lair goes HD.
    • Blizzard making everything into an MMO?
    • DS Lite sells 136k in first two days.
    • Tim Schafer demands 360-compatible Psychonauts.
    • Spore spreads to mobile phones (again).
    • Lara Croft is coming back.
    • Microsoft is working on a handheld ... what exactly?
  • 00:31:54 Interview: Peter Moore, Corporate Vice President of Microsoft Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division. Oh yeah, and he also runs something called the Xbox 360.
  • 01:07:36 Game Preview: The Battle for Middle Earth II for the Xbox 360.
  • 01:22:56 Interview: Louis Castle, Vice President of Creative Development for Electronic Arts and the creator of such classics as Dune II and Command & Conquer.
  • 01:34:56 Review: Nintendo DS Lite.
  • 01:41:25 “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and the always cool prize!
  • li
  • 01:45:34 Show Mail: I answer your audio questions.
  • 02:19:23 Final Thoughts: Digital download is just awesome.
Download the show (145 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 56 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 5:00 PM | Comments (48) | Posted to DS | Interview | Podcast | Preview | Review | Xbox |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

So this is the big thing you've been away working at! Nice Job!

Posted by sgore at June 19, 2006 5:37 PM

Thank you!

I hope Mr Moore had something to say and not just his job speak, although him talking trash about the PS3 would also be funny. ;-)

Posted by swerv at June 19, 2006 6:10 PM

Reinventing the English language, Steve? "Dungeions and Dragons"?

I'm 30 minutes into the podcast and really enjoying it. Also writing you a review on Itunes. ^_~

Posted by Jordan S at June 19, 2006 8:17 PM

Steve, have you even really played EVE Online? You dont stick lasers on a 'roid for 22 hours walk away and come back to check your progress - where is that coming from? IF you mine, you'll find yourself hauling ore back to the station every few minutes and dodging rats on a regular basis. There's a lot more to EVE online as well - including some of the best gaming communities out there. BTW - as far as things selling for 'real money' - that's actually not as true as you seem to think it is. I honestly wouldn't say that EVE Online has more 'real' money involved in it than any other MMO.

If you want to take another look at EVE online, I'd recommend it. There are so many cool things about EVE that you've not mentioned - like the fact that (except China) everyone is on the same server! Casual players are actually much more common than hardcore players in EVE - as a hardcore player is still (for the most part) training just as fast as the most casual of players thanks to the game's continual skill training system.

Posted by Gasman at June 19, 2006 11:22 PM

Awesome show steve-ie.

I was kinda going insane thinking you'd like quit or something.

Keep on truckin' brotha.

Posted by Whiskey at June 20, 2006 1:05 AM

I think if they want to port an RPG over to the 360, and they want to re-design the controls for the controller instead of remapping, they should also include the old PC code to be activated for when you plug up a mouse and keyboard. Agreed?

Posted by NRG-753 at June 20, 2006 3:40 AM

Argh! who's the annoying person who's tapping his foot on the floor or tapping the table the microphone is on?

Unless someone is wearing a mic and has a very strange heartbeat ;)

Great show though, thanks again.

Posted by swerv at June 20, 2006 7:51 AM

Sorry for double posting, I should've said during the Peter Moore group interview.

Posted by swerv at June 20, 2006 7:52 AM

When you started doing a lot of interviews I stopped listening. It is a fact that most of the interviews with persons from game companies are full of nothing. Listening to them few months later will reveal this fact to people who do not hear it immediately.

If you are going to keep doing interviews at the current pace, I recommend you tell the interviewee that it will sell a lot more when you preview the game and it is really good, not when the Marketing/Development/Creative Lead Manager that has pressure to push, sell, hype and speak it up. It would be much better to use the interviews to establish respect for the company and the guys behind the came, talking about something entirely else than their latest game/push. It is amazing to me that these professionals have not realized this and the fact they are actually hurting their agenda by the forced push in their talk.

Posted by ac at June 20, 2006 9:58 AM

A new show, and it's fantastic as usual! ^_^, Thanks, Steve!

Posted by Oscar at June 20, 2006 2:49 PM

Does anyone know where I can download Dungeons & Dragons and what does it cost if nothing hopely.

Posted by codeman at June 20, 2006 3:29 PM

The DDO free trial is on the official page

Posted by swerv at June 20, 2006 3:57 PM

Who is the one beating his feet on the floor?

Posted by Fraeon at June 20, 2006 4:41 PM

Steve, did you actually ask any questions in the roundtable interview with Peter Moore?

One other thing. I thought you said that you would stick to one-on-one interviews since roundtable ones are full of marketing talk?

Posted by MO at June 20, 2006 4:52 PM

can you get the entire game for free or does it cost something.

Posted by codeman at June 20, 2006 6:05 PM

i thought it was funny peter moor thought aliens was directed by ridley scott but it was alien

aliens was directed by james cameron

Anyway great show steve

Posted by herbkyle at June 20, 2006 10:48 PM

I was about to say, I wonder if Peter knows that James Cameron directed Aliens.

Posted by w0rf at June 21, 2006 12:12 PM

Another great podcast. Where else can I get two hours of quality gaming news for free? Well, I'm sure there's lots of places I could get that. I guess it's the intelligent game discussion that keeps me coming back every week.

And for those of you keeping score: I'm reading the World War books on Steve's recommendation and they're a lot of fun. It's the kind of reading that makes me look forward to taking the train to work each day.

Posted by SharpMonkey at June 22, 2006 4:00 PM

I love the Shenmue anecdote. I guess I'm one of those 5,000 who'd die if I thought it would mean a chance to play Shenmue III.

Posted by Olly at June 23, 2006 12:50 PM

To anyone thinking of actually paying for the Dragon's Lair HD I got news for you.

Let me start by saying I am an ex-employee of said company (Digital Leisure) and when a company has 4 employees you get to know everyone.

That said I am just going to tell you that the HD version isnt going to actually be HD it is going to be the normal dragons lair blowup in resolution and then a video filter put on top to get rid of some jaggies . But by no means is it HD.

And lets not forget that the products from Digitial Leisure are not even good, they are in fact terrible (I know I made a few). So please dont go and buy this overpriced garbage because it really is a ripoff.

PS. if you really want Dragons Lair then buy the 40th Anniversary Edition where you get the first and second games, along with Space Ace, plus some video interviews. It still sucks, but at least you are getting the best crappy deal.

Posted by CrazyCanuck at June 23, 2006 9:46 PM

CrazyCanuck, there's few things as pathetic as a bitter ex-employee. Move on.

Posted by Heartless Perry at June 23, 2006 9:56 PM

Nice show! I'm a little biased being mentioned in it, and actually in it.

I can answer a few of the questions. The audio during Peter Moore was very hap-hazzard, I just threw up my microphone on the table between Louis and Peter, and we recorded it (I blame Godfree's Macintosh) so all the noise in the room was also picked up.

I don't remember if Steve specifically asked any questions one-on-one w/ Peter, I want to say he didn't. Questions were mostly asked by Coola (Xbox365.com), EA Guys, Myself (www.dreamstation.cc), I think Jason had one (Strategy-Informer.com), and Godfree had one or two (Gamertagradio.com).

The marketing speak IS ALWAYS there, you just have to ask the right questions in a way that both allows the folks to pimp their product, AND get actual information taht folks want to hear.

I echo most of what Steve said about this being one of the best interviews I've heard w/ Peter Moore, he was very open, and had actual personality, he made me laugh several times in the roundtable.

Again Steve - great show, sorry I couldn't help Team Goblin any more than I did - once the game ships We'll have a re-match against those darned PC folk.

-Chris

Posted by Chris Paladino at June 24, 2006 12:52 PM

I just can't believe that Peter Moore said this:

"If you want to play the game, here's the basic game, but if you really want to enjoy the game, you buy these digital objects and really shifting the economy of gaming to the hands of the consumer and letting them decide how much they really want to spend"

That's the scariest thing ever to happen to gaming. console gaming will be destroyed because of this and I for one will not stand for it and after Gears of War and Halo 3, I'm done with console gaming.

Posted by vapor at June 26, 2006 8:09 PM

When need an official statement from Peter Moore over at the Xbox Forums as to his true intent of making Digital Objects the new economy for Marketplace. Many including myself have understood Peter to potentially charge for everything in a game that isn't basic.

We'd like to know his position and clarification on this, many feel they will abandon or not purchase additional content if this is Peters new agenda to milk the nickels and dimes from console owners.

Here's the direct link for gaming Steve & Peter to read: http://forums.xbox.com/5081477/ShowPost.aspx

Posted by Redpaw 360 at June 28, 2006 7:24 PM

I doubt he would respond in that sort of environment, he relies on his 'gift for the gab' and wouldn't be able to spin information as much in a static environment like a forum.

(or is this post a form of reverse psychology...)

Posted by exam at June 29, 2006 10:28 AM

Argh, im dying for this weeks podcast =p

Ive become addicted to this show!

Posted by h20 at June 30, 2006 1:47 AM

"CrazyCanuck, there's few things as pathetic as a bitter ex-employee. Move on."

Im not a bitter ex-employee, I left the company because I didnt like it. And if you want to disregard my warning and waste some money then go ahead.

Posted by CrazyCanuck at July 1, 2006 11:15 AM

Found your show a couple of weeks ago and listened to the last 5 casts, very nice, i llok forward to the next one.... which should be soon looking at the lead times ;)

just thought id post that i like it, take care bud

Alan

Posted by Alan at July 3, 2006 3:35 AM

You know for a FACT that Blizzard is working on the next Starcraft? HOW? Please tell us!

Posted by HYBRiS at July 4, 2006 9:26 AM

C'mon, Steve, make a new show already! The last show was more than 2 weeks ago. Get off your ass and do a show.

Just kidding, but seriously, I thought this was supposed to be a weekly thing.

Posted by MO at July 5, 2006 7:50 PM

So, when's the new show gonna be there? Well? :D

J/K

But seriously, we're waiting man! :P

Posted by P4p3Rc1iP at July 7, 2006 12:41 PM

June 19-July 8 and counting... maybe their is another uploading problem or maybe he doesnt have much interesting stuff to talk about, so he is waiting till he does.

Posted by kevo999 at July 8, 2006 3:59 PM

Like many I anxiously await the next exciting installment of Gaming Steve's podcast. Still...isn't it better to wait for a good, polished show that's packed with features than to get a thin show now?

Posted by SharpMonkey at July 8, 2006 4:22 PM

In a Thread on the Forum he said he had to go to a suprise funeral and is on vaction right now so it screwed up his schedule

Posted by Dragon_Reborn at July 8, 2006 5:05 PM

Ahh, good to know that we havn't been (intentionally) abandoned!

Posted by The Orthan at July 8, 2006 8:12 PM

On vacation? I thought his job was doin this podcast?

Posted by JImmy Beano at July 10, 2006 3:26 PM

So are you saying people cant take vacations?

Posted by Dragon_Reborn at July 11, 2006 9:38 PM

No.. he can do whatever the hell he wants. I just find it strange that he can't even post a note on the main page explaining why there hasn't been a new podcast since the middle of June.

Posted by JImmy Beano at July 12, 2006 11:23 AM

JImmy Beano, lay off Mr. Glicker. You seem to have forgotten that this whole site, gaming news info updates, forums, and great show are FREE. You do not pay for any of this, Mr. Glicker does not owe you ANYTHING. If you like the show that's great, then just be thankful there IS a show, and wait, like the rest of the world for the next one. I mean really, your acting as though this show owes you something. This show is not a right, its a very special privilege Mr. Glicker has seen fit to bestow upon the internet. While YOU may not, others DO have lives to deal with and can't always put aside time for their hobbies and interests.

Anyways, best wishes Steve and I hope all is well.

Regards,

Sgt. Blah

Posted by Sgt. Blah at July 12, 2006 3:27 PM

Yeah, listen to what Sgt. Blah says, this podcast is THE best and most intelligent podcast i have listened to. Most are druken guys talking about random subjects that barely have to do with video games. Get off his back, he will do the podcast when he can.

Posted by Dragon_Reborn at July 12, 2006 8:25 PM

I applaud Sgt. Blah and Dragon_Reborn for thier well-reasoned pleas for a patient audience. We're lucky to have a Gaming Steve to make such wonderful podcasts for us. Cut the guy a break.

Posted by SharpMonkey at July 12, 2006 8:45 PM

Thank you Sharp Monkey!

Posted by Dragon_Reborn at July 13, 2006 2:46 PM

ANY word when Steve's vacation is over?

Posted by healimonster at July 15, 2006 10:02 PM

i wonder if we will get to a full month without a podcast

Posted by kevo999 at July 17, 2006 12:25 AM

Just wondering if Steve is ok. He might have died on his vacation and nobody knows how to post it on his website. :(

Hope he is ok and would come back with some killer content. I want to know what Steve thinks about the possibility of $60-$100 games from Sony.

Posted by Rashid at July 17, 2006 4:50 PM

Looks like he will make a month without anything.

I know its a free pod cast, but to retain an audience you need to give them something. it would be nice if we got a news post letting us know he wont be around for a while.

Posted by Mal at July 17, 2006 11:51 PM

Steve did post over in the forums about his vacation and how a suprise funeral mucked up his schedule. Here's the URL for that post:

I thought the posts on the front page are intended for comments about the individual podcasts, so it doesn't suprise me that Steve didn't post here. That's what the forums are for.

Posted by SharpMonkey at July 18, 2006 12:27 PM