March 2, 2006

Spore Gameplay Video

Nearly one year ago today Will Wright stole the show at the 2005 Game Developer's Conference when he stunned the world with his new game Spore. For those of you who still haven't seen the 36 minute gameplay video from last year's GDC you owe it to yourself to watch this video and view perhaps the most exciting game concept in years (perhaps ever).

I myself have seen this thing over ten times and yet I can't seem to ever get enough of it. Oh yes, and expect a lot more updates on the site when Spore is presented at three talks during this year's GDC. Until then, enjoy the video and make sure you check out the most active Spore forum in the world, my interview with Will Wright about Spore, as well as my extensive year-long Spore coverage.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 12:30 AM | Comments (45) | Posted to Spore |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

oh yeah i posted this on the forums before you posted it here in your face. ;)

Posted by patrick at March 2, 2006 12:57 AM

Oh man, my computer is never going to be able to run this.

Posted by ricree at March 2, 2006 12:59 AM

This is great Steve.

Posted by Mangerman at March 2, 2006 1:13 AM

It's too bad it cuts off... How did the presentation end?

Posted by Jomdom at March 2, 2006 1:57 AM

wow almost looks playble now, with some polish it gonna be a GOTY no probs

Posted by Admittance at March 2, 2006 3:12 AM

Having never seen the footage before, I was left to only imagine it, until now. All i have to say is WOW. The first game with near unlimited replay value...this is incredible.

Posted by Presentlight at March 2, 2006 3:13 AM

That was from LAST year...Soon a new religion will be born :P

Posted by Naar at March 2, 2006 3:14 AM

Not being a sporeamaniac, I've never seen this. Pretty good video, I can see what all the fuss is about now.

Posted by Danzik at March 2, 2006 3:29 AM

I've ripped this movie as well but only the gameplay pieces.... :)

the cut of part is where he says that when you have an idea that's so far fetched, that yopu have to revisit these again and they might seem doable if you work enough to make them plausible...

well I'm again watching this movie here.. like for the umteenth time :P hehe, am i adicted or ...

Posted by CosmicD at March 2, 2006 3:31 AM

For those who want to see the whole interview copy and paste this website into your browser.

Scroll down until you find the Full version of Will Wrights speech. You will have to register (for free) to view it, if you haven't already done so. There is no verification required ;)

Posted by Mr_Wizard at March 2, 2006 3:36 AM

i still can't believe most people haven't seen this video yet, this should be required viewing by all gamers.

Posted by ilikesanta at March 2, 2006 6:05 AM

It'd be even cooler if you could use such a procedural character editor to create your a dude and then you could map your hand and head movements etc from a web camera to the game, so that when another player contacts you in the game (s)he would see your character instead of the real you but with the moves of controlled by you in real time and possibly have your voice transformed with vocoders and such making it sound alien. And then bolt this system to Star Control 2 type of game but with real players being the aliens :-)

Posted by ac at March 2, 2006 8:03 AM

is there any estimated release date yet? and mac support known?

Posted by mark at March 2, 2006 11:20 AM

Wow. I never knew what the fuss was all about until I saw that. I can't wait.

Posted by Brutus at March 2, 2006 12:01 PM

Wow, I thought most everybody who comes to Gaming Steve had seen that...

I tried to capture the gameplay parts once, but my computer froze, and I had to restart. (I got the Trojan off, don't worry. :P)

Thanks Steve, now I don't have to do it myself! :D

Posted by mythicalmonk at March 2, 2006 12:46 PM

This is stunning. I first heard about Spore on this web site but until this post had no interest. Spore is going on my wish list. Amazing!

Posted by FattyLumpkin at March 2, 2006 1:21 PM

Love it, can't wait for GDC '06.

Is it just me or does the sound get out of synch of the video about halfway through?

Posted by gbCerberus at March 2, 2006 3:14 PM

This is not germane to the subject, but as a personal plea, please don't just embed video in the middle of your post. (This goes for anyone who has a blog, not just Steve.)

I'm on a Mac. There's no Google Video Player for Macs yet. Fair enough, it was my decision to use a Mac and I should accept the consequences.

The problem is, you didn't include an alt style link, a caption, or an "if you don't load the video, click this URL" reference. So when I loaded the page, I had this nice big empty spot with no content whatsoever and spent a couple of minutes just trying to figure out what was going on and then why it wasn't working.

I wonder what would have happened if a blind person using text-to-speech software tried to visit the site.

Posted by TheDavid at March 2, 2006 3:15 PM

Steve, do you actually know what kind of specs my poor PC will need to play this game? Because GameSpy lists it as coming out in Q4 of this year, so if I'm going to need an Überbox to play it, I'd better start saving now!

Posted by Max at March 2, 2006 5:31 PM

Ok ppl this movie is from last year....... it isnt new, lol. The game will probably need a min of 1 Gig of RAM (possibly 2 Gigs), 2.5Ghz of CPU might be what the game will be using, possibly a lil lower, dunno. Graphics wise, looks about 128 MB card as being a min or recommended. The game it self all rests on two things for system preformance.... will all plantes be completely developing with your critters or will they just be loaded up from other computers, because if its loaded up alot of the needs for the game could be lowered a fair bit since the only main gameplay will be around the home planet and colonies there after. Good Luck all, im hoping its not to extreme and I personally have been waiting for this game wince day one of this video :)

Posted by Yoyort at March 2, 2006 5:51 PM

Than you so much for putting these on you site! It wouldn't work on any other site i tried except this one. Now i see what everyone means about this game, it really changed my thoughts about it.

Posted by 7 who ate 9 at March 2, 2006 7:12 PM

when i first saw the game, i immediately thought of seventh cross evolution for the dreamcast. the putting together of putting it together reminded me of it, with the evolution of the character. but looks amazing past that. can't wait to get a chance to play it.

Posted by visibleone at March 2, 2006 7:18 PM

Hey, Mac guy, your problem might be you have an old version of the Flash plugin installed. My mac shows all those Google vids just fine.

Posted by gob at March 2, 2006 8:15 PM

Year old news. Nice one.

Posted by Huasat at March 2, 2006 8:25 PM

10 times? That's [i]it[/i]?! I must watch this video twice a month, if not more.

I need this game like I need oxygen....NOW

also- I've been signed up for the Spore newsletter for over half a year, and nothing has come of it, no information, no "hey hold on a while longer while we make this godly game", nothing! What the hell Will?

Posted by Sami at March 2, 2006 8:53 PM

Posted by ilikesanta at March 3, 2006 6:41 AM

Awesome. I've been visiting GDC's site since last year, but it was always so hard to explain to my friends that they need to make a login and all that to see this amazing video I was always ranting about. I will definately be linking this to some friends.
Thanks Steve.

Posted by TheShark at March 3, 2006 11:58 AM

"I've notice that there are a lot more spore topics on other site's message boards linking the google video, since this has been posted."

Yes indeed, many people who had never heard of it are now looking out for this.
I did it on this site: http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=50959&st=0

Posted by P4p3Rc1iP at March 3, 2006 1:05 PM

I can't get enough of that video.

But Steve, y'know people all over the Intratron are snagging that link and saying it's from GDC -2006-.

Posted by Lobster at March 3, 2006 1:35 PM

interesting, but i dont consider this a game, rather than a hobby.

Posted by Auz at March 3, 2006 4:01 PM

i downloaded the game.. but cant able to use it.. it wont run

Posted by posters at March 3, 2006 8:04 PM

"i downloaded the game.. but cant able to use it.. it wont run"
Well Posters although this just my rough technical theroy, I think it's pretty safe to say your prediciment probably occured because of the fact you got Pwoned. It's like Pwned And It's like Owned only merged together. You couldn't possibly play any downloaded version of the game because the game isn't out yet. Nor will it be out for many months. Now what have we learned from this, ah yes, Don't Download Video games. It's stealing, and It ussually leaves a whole mess of Spyware on your Computer.

Posted by sgore at March 3, 2006 10:38 PM

Do you think this will be like Sims with all of their expansion packs? I can see a possible ability to add onto this game via expansions. Like making the city management level more like SimCity, the diplomacy level more like Risk, adding to the intergalactic level & maybe even adding multiplayer (Sims Online anyone?).

As for the guy who "downloaded" Spore... you might wanna run a virus check.

Posted by Simcity Fan at March 4, 2006 1:47 PM

Oops... I should have said "the diplomacy level more like Civilizatoin"... dunno why I said Risk, although I can see that too.

Posted by Simcity at March 4, 2006 3:47 PM

For what it's worth, folks, I think that the guy who "downloaded" Spore is probably referring to the movie and is having trouble's playing it.

Of course, I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt as his post reads like he might not have a firm grip on the English language.

Just my two cents.

Posted by Jomdom at March 4, 2006 7:20 PM

I've watched this over and over again, too - probably far more than 10 times. More like atleast a dozen or so times. Besides my already mentioned creations, I think I'm going to make that little creature in the first scene and see where I can take it.

Posted by vbGamer at March 5, 2006 10:34 AM

I don't know why, but I'm not even remotely excited by this game. It's so... cartoonish

Posted by teo at March 6, 2006 11:22 AM

Well the video isn't entirly great quality. Wait till more offical media comes out besides the 5 screens (Which are on the offical spore site.) before passing judgement

Posted by sgore at March 6, 2006 4:13 PM

Run a search for "Spore" on Google video and you can find the demo and speech in its entirety. As good as this feed is, the full speech by Will Wright is even better as he talks about how Spore fits in with solving the coming generation's problems of development.

Posted by James at March 6, 2006 6:42 PM

Yeah the google video is awesome, i wish i could just have the creature creator, i would gladly pay for it. Go Will and Maxis!!!!!!

Posted by Richard at March 6, 2006 11:20 PM

Damn, dirty 56k modem.

Posted by Hectonkhyres at March 8, 2006 2:49 AM

This game will seamlessly, transparently, and dynamically leverage player-created content like no game I've ever seen before.

This could well be the first truly Web 2.0 game.

Posted by Mike at March 9, 2006 8:29 AM

man this game is the friking best game in the world hey does anyone reckon that it should go online cause i do so we can see other players dudes and there creation

Posted by kelvin at March 14, 2006 10:50 PM

This game truly is magnificent. I've been following Spore since last GDC in 2005, and through the past year, I've been rewatching Will's keynote over and over again and every time I watch it, it just stuns me how he managed to create such a vast world. I can't wait to know more this coming E3.

Posted by Jeff at March 30, 2006 12:20 PM

man, this is great game. I just go online and whack, interact and just look at other guys. If this doesn't feed my imagination, nothing will!

Posted by Damo at May 23, 2006 11:50 AM