March 23, 2006

Gaming Steve Episode 45 - 03.23.2006

Spore In A BoxToday was "Spore Day" at GDC with four different talks concerning Spore, and I was at every single one of them. But just how much new information was revealed during these talks? And what new revelations did Satoru Iwata reveal about the Revolution? This and more on today's show!

Oh yes, and once again I share the mic, today with John Callaham from FiringSquad. Enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 45 Program

• Game Developers Conference Day 4 Recap
    • John and I discuss Spore talk number one: "Advanced Prototyping" with Chaim Gingold and Chris Hecker.
    • We discuss the Nintendo keynote speech.
    • Will Wright talks, but does he say anything?
    • John gives us a rundown of the expo floor.
    • A review of this year's "Game Design Challenge" and why was Will Wright wearing a tiara?
    • Spore talk number three: "Spore: PrePD Through Prototyping" by Eric Todd.
    • And finally Spore talk number four: "Building Community Around Pollinated Content in Spore" by Caryl Shaw.
    • A recap of last night's Independent Game Festival & Awards and the Game Developers Choice Awards.
Download the show (55 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 45 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 11:00 PM | Comments (17) | Posted to Podcast | Spore | Wii | Add this story to del.icio.us
Comments

Hey, Steve...
First of all I'm new here
Second I'm very interested in spore
So i want to ask you if i can translate some matirials from your site about spore (including you intervie with Will and maybe this) to Hebrew and post it on a forum... so waiting to your replay

Kostia

Posted by kostia at March 24, 2006 02:21 AM

Four talks?!? I only counted 3. I made Will Wright's and Caryl Shaw's talks (I asked the question about playing Spore offline at the end of her talk), missed the production one in between. I didn't realize the advanced prototyping talk was about Spore! Oh well, can't catch 'em all, I guess. Glad you managed to for us.

Posted by Tara at March 24, 2006 02:49 AM

hmm, i bet will wright in a tiara is hilarious.

Posted by jov at March 24, 2006 02:53 AM

Great once again Steve. I'm gonna stop leaving redundant comments.

Posted by Summinrandom at March 24, 2006 04:08 AM

Hahaha... You get a Nintendo fanboy vs anti-Nintendo vibe at a couple of places in this. =p

Posted by RealmRPGer at March 24, 2006 05:04 AM

ur lucky to be at GDC.lol but what is the big deal about Spore? I see youve been talking about it like mad, but what makes it so great?

Posted by Gougs06 at March 24, 2006 09:05 AM

What makes it so great... well, maybe because you get to create and completely customize your own species. Then you get to decide the type of civilization they will have, have them go to war with each other (like humans do) & have them space explore.

While doing all of this you get to completely customize all the other "inferior" species on your planet & custmoize the flora & terrain too. Anyone with an imagination can figure out what "makes it so great."

I've seen more people thrilled to death about the upcoming more trivial, limited things in life like the next season of American Idol or the next game in the GTA series.

Posted by Jel at March 24, 2006 10:02 AM

I enjoy hearing 2 people's input back and forth like that.
I like it when you have guests. Were you guys passing the mic back and forth or something?

Posted by Deep Lee at March 24, 2006 10:50 AM

I agree, the back and forth seems to bring out a lot interesting discussion about the industry and individual games :-)

Posted by AnotherMike at March 24, 2006 01:49 PM

I'd enjoy some of the advanced prototyping talk, this stuff was probably REAL interesting.

Pretty please :)

Posted by FoxSpirit at March 24, 2006 02:29 PM

Hey Steve, could you translate the interview to Japanese? I could use the practice. :)

Just kidding, Kostia (please don't kill me).

Anyway Steve, where's the video? I demand video!

Posted by Lobster at March 24, 2006 05:29 PM

Hey Steve,
Once again a great podcast. I really enjoy these podcasts with the co-hosts. I think it would be great if once in a while you brought someone else like chris, or john in for a guest host VIA skype on your regular podcasts. It wouldn't need to be all the time because of the extra time that would be involved but I would love it once in while.

Keep up the great work!
Dan

Posted by Dan at March 27, 2006 11:48 AM

Great podcast steve :)

Can't wait til E3 for lots of Spore information.

Posted by Rob (aquaman) at March 27, 2006 03:27 PM

Hehe, it's funny when Steve gets all excited :-)

I definatly like the one on one with another host.

Posted by Jomdom at March 27, 2006 04:07 PM

hey, steve? I know you probably get this a lot, but do you know when it's coming out? And could you write a script of your show?

Posted by Wymark? at March 27, 2006 05:58 PM

Just wanted to poke a quick Russian Space tidbit of info.. the book: Om on Ra

Great book.. its short.. everyone can read and complete it ;)

great podcast

Posted by Thetyrant at March 29, 2006 08:10 PM

in the podcast steve mentioned something about a fan created game based on the microbe part of spore, which could be found on the net. Does anyone know the link to were i could play this game?

Posted by Andy at April 5, 2006 06:06 PM