February 04, 2006

Poll Results: How Many Hours Have You Spent Playing World of Warcraft?

poll-2-4-06.gifI asked a little less than two weeks ago "How Many Hours Have You Spent Playing World of Warcraft?" and the results were a bit surprising (at least to me). When I was making the poll I never thought that anyone would really answer more than 2000 hours. But yet 11% of the people who voted claim that they have spent more than 2500 hours playing WoW, which is pretty mind-blowing if true.

But then I started to think about it a little. Personally I have spent around 500 hours total playing WoW since the release -- I forgot to include time spent playing my Alt characters last time, but that does not include my time spent playing the "Blizzard Friends and Family WoW Beta" for one year (in which case my grand total would be well over 1000 hours). And most of those 500 hours were played during the first two months after release when I was playing WoW like crazy. So let's say that in just two months time I played about 400 hours of WoW in total. And when I was playing I was also working fulltime, so I could only at night and during the weekends, yet somehow I managed to squeeze in 400 hours of gameplay. That, in retrospect, was totally crazy (I think I can see why my wife was starting to get a bit peeved at me playing this game all the time).

Now I can only imagine how much you could play this game if you had a fair amount of free time on your hands. I have one friend who was unemployed and he would easily play 80-100 hours of WoW ... per week. So I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised that there are people out there pumping 2500+ hours into this game since its release.

What I want to know is what are you doing during this time? Once I hit level 60 a lot of the "buzz" faded from the game and it just hasn't had the same hold over me since. What are you people who are playing WoW (or any MMO for that matter) hundreds of hours a month doing? What is keeping your interest in these games?

Look for a new poll tomorrow!

Posted by Gaming Steve at 05:00 PM | Comments (17) | Posted to MMORPG | Poll | Add this story to del.icio.us
Comments

I got bored at 60, so now I'm playing alts, which I'm really enjoying.

Posted by Devilmachine at February 4, 2006 06:19 PM

The most I've ever put into a game is around 200 hours, Final Fantasy X. That's huge to me. All this WoW crap is getting really boring.

Posted by Max Lawlor at February 4, 2006 09:04 PM

This kind of reminds me of when I used to have my old Mac LCIII desktop, it kept track of how many hours it was turned on. Granted, a fair amount of that time was idle time, but I didn't leave it running like I do my iBook now. So I damn near fell over the first time I saw it and figured out how much time it averaged out to per day.

Time files.

Time flies even faster when playing Civ II on a Mac LCIII. ;-)

Posted by Gregg at February 4, 2006 10:33 PM

I got bored at lvl 35. It's just so repetitive. Kill monsters, get stuff, get reward, get equipment, start over again.

Posted by P4p3Rc1iP at February 5, 2006 06:09 AM

Everyone who keeps posting about how boring WoW is to them are just boring and lame individuals themselves. You get out of a game what you put into it, and WoW gives you HUGE potential compared to other games. A lot of this is related to the community you are a part of and the friendships you make. Join or form a guild with friends, organize and plan events, do battlegrounds together at all level brackets, etc. In the end game raid Molten Core every week and then move on to Blackwing Lair and do Onyxia's Lair Mondays to spice things up. Don't have enough people? Then do ZG runs, I love that instance because its so much fun and can be quite challenging and you don't need 40 people.

I think thats the problem. WoW is a casual game for levels 1-45 and gets much harder after that. End game (lvl 60) is completely different and a lot of people don't understand that. Character progression is based on GEAR at that point and that means RAIDING instances. This is where a lot of the casual gamers get turned off... You guys know what I'm talking about...

Why is it that people need a new game every other month to keep them interested? Its all these damn casual gamers...

Casual gamers will be the death of gaming!

Posted by Paul at February 5, 2006 07:37 AM

Casual gamers won't be the death of gaming, because like you said, those ''damn casual gamers'' are buying each month a new game. If it was not like that, the game industry would have a much smaller income and they would rather stop making games.

Posted by Mangerman at February 5, 2006 09:02 AM

It's people who play WoW for 20 hours+ a week who will be the death of gaming.

Like Steve has said before on his podcast, less pc games are sold due to people who only play MMO's, specifically WoW.

Posted by swerv at February 5, 2006 05:14 PM

By death of gaming I meant that all games are going to turn into this watered down, dumbed down, hit 1 button piece of crap because anything more is is too "hard."

Posted by Paul at February 5, 2006 05:15 PM

Some companies realise that we dont all want 'easy mode'.
Check out Vanguard (MMO due out this year by Sigil).
Brad McQuaid from the original EQ team has been working on this for a while.

Posted by Rob_NZ at February 6, 2006 06:06 AM

Well i have been registered for about 7 month and if i cumulate the time i realy spend with WoW it will be something about 20 days. i was lucky to find some friends in this fictional world, but finally the real world was stronger so i had too give up playing WoW, because everytime i wanted to play there was no time for it, and everytime i could have played i wasn´t motivated enough to do so.
thats why i returned to those games that don´t need to be played 24/7 in order to be succesfull.

Posted by Engoth at February 6, 2006 09:51 AM

GamingSteve: "What I want to know is what are you doing during this time?"

I've mentioned these things I did after 60 a couple of times already so forgive if I sound repetitive but...

I created and leveled alts. I worked on trying to bring my skills up such as enchanting and such. I helped friends level their alts when I wasn't playing with my alts. Then you have high level instances. Farming in an attempt to buy that item occupied a lot of my time. Attacks on the opposing faction cities. Although I never played myself, Battlegrounds was an option. Exploration to places I was too scared to go or too busy while I was leveling up. Among other things that I'm probably forgetting. I remember playing hide n' seek with guildmates from time to time as well.

Posted by n10sity at February 6, 2006 11:09 AM

I had WoW for about six months, and was a hardcore player as I was with Lineage 2, which I quit to win my life back, and so did with WoW as well for the same reasons. Reaching 60, geting gear, bringing my rep up everywhere on the map, ranking up, and managing an elite battlegrounds team, besides being part of a raid guild, were some of the things that kept me busy. Regardless of how long I played, it was more for my own private entertainment of role playing as a mage, where ever I explored, than what the game could offer with its inane quests. This is what really kept me going in the game.

What made me quit the game was that same fact about my private enjoyment not being met, or better said, not allowed by WoW developers as one reached higher levels. Meaning, many MMORPG have demonstrated to me their stuborn opinion- that in their game you can only advance your character with a network of friends that teamworks through the problems set out in the game by devs.

Had the game allowed me to explore things on my own I would have still been playing WoW today and put in more hours, or at least kept it just for the fantasy of being a mage whenever I loged on.

Posted by Auz at February 7, 2006 06:25 PM

I think that WoW and Guild Wars are easily the best MMORPGs available right now; however, that's not saying much from my perspective since I find MMORPGs incredibly boring. I consider them half-games where you spend almost as much time doing nothing as you do having fun (even in games like WoW and GW that have done a lot to do away with that kind of thing).

While it's just an opinion, and probably an unpopular one at that, I believe this MMO craze that we're currently afflicted with will eventually die out just like an over-used slang word. The strongest ones will survive the extinction, most likely, but the novelty of the persistent universe has begun to really hit home for a lot of RPG players, who came looking for some form, any form of role-playing and found little of it in their Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games. :(

The very least some of these games could do to foster the RPG aspects, is be brutally harsh on stupid character names. And just having a RPG server has not been the answer either, as assinine names still abound on those even...

Just some thoughts, sorry that they're so negative, but that's how I (and many I know personally) view this tired and over-rated genre...

Posted by Tony at February 16, 2006 12:49 AM

After 60, one word:

Guild.

Guild=PVE/PVP raiding, battlegrounds teams, RP (events, casual), chatting, friendships, humor, inter-guild politics/alliances/wars, support and networking.

And re: Tony's comments, I respectfully disagree. As any roleplayer knows, RP isn't found, its DONE. It takes a lot of hard work and organisation. It's always been that way. These games are just frameworks that allow people to interact in creative ways over optic fibre.

I've been waiting for the technology to catch up to Neuromancer since 1984, and it's just now approaching isomorphism. This is just the beginning.

Posted by Mahojin at February 21, 2006 10:05 AM

There have been some great comments to this post. Thanks everyone.

I've got almost 41 days in across all my characters (one of every class, with each into the mid 30's at least). I started playing a week after the release (and was surprised to see a level 60 a couple days later). A large portion of my time online in WoW has been doing little more that hanging out, making new friends, questing with my wife (gasp!), PVPing with lower-level chars in WSG, and helping new players and just relaxing. I may never have all uber toons but I'm having a blast.

I don't play every day and I've gone as long as two months without being online due to my short attention span. lol. Sometimes I'm on solid for 4-6 hrs a day during the week and 10-12 hrs a day during the weekends. And I still manage to squeeze in a little time each week in other games like CoH/CoV and Guild Wars. Sometimes I even actually see the sun. It's a good life.

Posted by BuddhaPhi at March 2, 2006 03:25 PM

I started playing in May 2005 and have since logged somewhere in the range of 4150hrs...it's pretty mind boggling but I know people who have put in even more. Thats about 70 days of play, some of my guildmates had put in that on a single character, and have had multiple level 60s.

Addiction sucks.

Posted by Utensil at March 2, 2006 03:57 PM

"I started playing in May 2005 and have since logged somewhere in the range of 4150hrs...it's pretty mind boggling but I know people who have put in even more. Thats about 70 days of play..."

Something doesn't add up here... 4150 / 24 = ~173 days. That's nearly half a year. You have a problem. :)

Posted by Switch at March 27, 2006 03:06 PM