January 11, 2006

World of Warcraft Guide to Cooking and Fishing

World of Warcraft Guide to Fishing and CookingThis might seem a bit out of place here, but I thought I should post this excellent guide that my formally WOW-obsessed friend wrote up on how to become an expert fisherman and cook in just a single day. Since my friend no longer plays WOW (that is, until the expansion comes out!) and his guide was going to waste, I thought it would be a good idea to share his wisdom to the world. So many thanks to Clapperoth for his excellent guide...

Clapperoth's Guide to Reaching Level 300 Cooking and Fishing in a Single Day

Every group of people I've played with have at some point made the error of asking guildmates to save their wolf and boar meat so they can start leveling up cooking. Oh those sad, sad people, not realizing where the real meat of the matter is.

The fact is that you can raise cooking to 300 quite easily just using the fish you pull up while raising up your fishing skill, and it only takes a couple of hours to raise both to expert level at the same time.

So, for the Horde, here is what you do:

1) Bloodhoof Village: There is a Fishing trainer along the lake, a cooking trainer in the large tradecraft hut, and a vendor on the north side of town that sells "Fishing Supplies". I mention this last one as this vendor sells the "Recipe: Brilliant Smallfish" that requires only 1 cooking skill to cook fish. (This recipe is also sold by the Fishing supplies camp in Tirisfal Glades between Undercity and the Scarlet Monestary).

But where can I go to find Brilliant Smallfish you ask? Why, right there at the lake next to Bloodhoof. You can raise both fishing and cooking to 50-75 skill without ever leaving town, and use the trainers there to go to journeyman in both.

2) Ratchett: The next step on your journey will be lovely Ratchett in the Barrens. Here, a kindly vendor who stands near the head of the dock will sell you the "Recipe: Rainbow Fin Albacore" which requires 50 cooking skill. And once again, these tasty fish can be found ... right there fishing off the dock, where you can wave at the nice elves, dwarves and gnomes leaping from the boat for an adventure before they are slaughtered by the Horde players who hang out there waiting for them.

You can raise your fishing skill over 100 here, and cook the fish up to about 100 as well, while also getting some random extras like Oily Blackfish, Firefin Snapper and some engineering supplies that can be used, sold, or given as gifts to your lower skill alchemist and engineering friends.

But ... before you leave Ratchett, visit the kindly fisherman at the end of the dock one more time, because there is another cooking recipe you will need: "Recipe: Bristle Whisker Catfish". Then you are ready for your next exciting adventure of standing in place clicking a bobber every few minutes.

*** For the lazy and rich: Ignore most beyond this point regarding good fishing spots if all you want to do is raise cooking and don't care about getting fishing up at all. At around 100 skill you can buy raw fish from "fish food" vendors and skill up cooking that way. I like the fishing vendor at Steamwheedle Port in Tanaris (building right next to the dock) for this method. You would raise cooking to 225 at least doing this, although without fishing you won't have access to the ingredients for some of the artisan recipes, like mana regen buff, +agi buff, etc. ***

3) Stonetalon/Milkfallom Lake: There are other spots where you can get the friendly Bristle Whisker Catfish (e.g. the river just south of the Orgrimmar west entrance), but in Milkfallom Lake in Stonetalon, about 4 out of 5 items you fish up are this delicious (and whiskered) delicacy. To avoid dealing with Alliance while there, I suggest swimming to the little island in the middle of the lake to do your fishing, but that's up to the individual's desire.

Fishing these up will take both your fishing skill and cooking skill to about 150 without much effort, at which point you need to go on a journey of exploration for the books to raise your skills to expert.

Expert Fishing: This guide can be found in Booty Bay for 1g. If you were to enter Booty Bay from the water via the sea ramp, there is a "Fisherman" NPC in the door to your immediate right.

Expert Cooking: This is sold in Shadowprey Village in Desolace again for 1g.

4) 150-175, Make It Up: No perfect fish for cooking skill 150-175 although the Bristle Whisker won't have become trivial for you so will still give you some bonus. Otherwise the tangy clam meat from clamshells that sea creatures drop can be used here for the 125 trainer recipe Goblin Deviled Clams (and is fished up sometimes in #5)

5) Grom'gol/Shadowprey/Booty Bay: Buy some +75 lures at any fishing supplies vendor (for Shadowprey and Booty Bay they are right there where you will be fishing). For Gron'gol and Booty Bay, the fish you are looking for is Raw Rockscale Cod. In Shadowprey at the dock you will be fishing up Mithril Trout. Both of these are 175 skill cooking recipes sold at the Cook in Booty Bay and the cooking supplies vendor in Shadowprey.

Doing both or either of these will take your cooking to 225 and you will have to do a quest to raise to artisan. Cooking quest details are found here.

It's possible that you will also get fishing to 225 in Stranglethorn Vale or Desolace if you work at it, but you will raise cooking to 225 well before you get fishing there as fishing skillups slow down as you progress. You really only need to get to late 100s anyway.

6) Cooking to 300: At around 190 fishing skill you can buy +75 lures and fish in the river in Ferelas right in town there (next to the flight master works). This river has the advantage that a wide variety of fish come up so you can play with several recipes, although the dock at Steamwheedle is also good (but again, alliance will pester you as opposed to Ferelas). All of the cooking recipes you will need are either sold there in Camp Monanche in Ferelas or at the merchant in Steamwheedle Port in Tanaris. There are about 8-10 recipes between those two merchants, I won't list them all, just visit both vendors.

7) Fishing to 300: May god have mercy on your soul because Blizzard certainly won't. That's really all I have to say on that.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 02:00 PM | Comments (32) | Posted to MMORPG | Add this story to del.icio.us
Comments

Gotta love copy&paste, thanks Steve!

Posted by DevilMachine at January 11, 2006 03:38 PM

might want to let people know this is just for the horde......

Posted by d1a2r3k at January 11, 2006 05:32 PM

Getting your fishing to 300 is as easy (or hard) as getting it to 10. Unlike other tradeskills, fishing has a chance to go up no matter what the difficulty level of what you're trying to fish (create.) I am currently at 280 fishing, and the last 80 points or so I got at the lake near the Battlemasters in Orgrimmar.

Posted by Keith at January 11, 2006 06:36 PM

Somehow, this is a story on Kotaku

Posted by Danzik at January 11, 2006 07:31 PM

Ah, but so are stories about Otaku PEZ dispensers. Long Live Kotaku!

Posted by BnE at January 12, 2006 12:27 AM

Kotaku reminds me of that guy you end up sitting by in study hall...sometimes he says something profound othertimes, you wish you'd just done you algebra homework

Posted by Danzik at January 12, 2006 02:46 AM

FOR THE HORDE! ...and thanks for the guide!!

Posted by Nacht at January 12, 2006 03:49 AM

Got my fishing and cooking to 100 in just a few hours. Great guide!

Posted by Oburei at January 16, 2006 09:12 AM

What about alliance?

Posted by zip at January 17, 2006 08:47 PM

"For the lazy and rich" read as: "For those who buy farmed gold"

Posted by nogoldfarming at January 20, 2006 10:16 AM

Yes what about the alliance fishing?

Posted by Khedrak at January 23, 2006 03:11 PM

Screw the alliance you pansies. Bubble + Hearth your way to fishing 300.

Posted by Anon at January 26, 2006 03:52 PM

You Horde scum!!! FOR THE A L L I A N C E !!!!

FOR FRODOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Posted by Thorin at January 27, 2006 05:57 AM

wtf? frodo? dude...get off the ally pot and join the horde, WE KICK ASS! mmm fishin skill 300 within 3 hours, i feel special :P

Posted by Nordoc at February 1, 2006 12:45 AM

You alliance are idiots.....lol. Once you reach lvl 10 in fishing you can fish rachet. As your fishing skill grows you can visit all the other places too. Watch out for me though, if I see you I will PK your ASS!

Posted by Waazzaahhpp at February 7, 2006 01:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I just picked up fishing and have wasted a few lures trying to fish in areas I wasn't skilled enough to take advantage of. The only other thing I'd like to know about is which raw or cooked fish sell best at AH and what are some of the better recipes? I saw you mentioned the one for a mana buff. That will come in very handy once I'm skilled enough.

And thanks for keeping it Horde only. I can't stand most Alliance players. Many times on my first character I was suckered into attacking an Alliance player only to get backstabbed by his level 60 rogue buddy hiding in the shadows. I'm nearing 60 now and will pay them back in kind.

Posted by Muertelo at March 22, 2006 04:52 PM

Now seriously, Where can i find a alliance guideto fishing and cooking? I got characters on bothsides. i got a Alliance on PvE and a Horde on PVP.

Posted by jesse at April 2, 2006 01:36 PM

I think you horde people have it easy. There is a guide for everything and all you have to do is find it online. Us Alliance people don't have everyone babying us. We earn what we get cause we have to figure it out for ourselves.

Posted by Karen at April 2, 2006 07:41 PM

Blizzard favors the Horde way too much. Hell, when they play BGs, what do they roll? Horde. Screw the Horde. Any alliance on my server will pwn the horde, hands down. I agree with Karen, not a lot of sympathy for Alliance, but we don't care. We earn this game. Horde gets spoon fed.

God, I hate the horde. effing
Orcish: we're gay

Posted by Ryan at April 11, 2006 02:31 PM

Interesting, I've leveled fishing on both the alliance and horde. Not much difference between the two.Oh yes, except for the fact that the alliance complain about everything.On all servers the alliance outnumbers the horde and still the horde wins.

God, I love the horde.

Start inside Darnasus, there is a fishing trainer and supplies close to the bank, on a little dock.Then Auberdine in Darkshore.

Posted by Kathleen at May 3, 2006 05:10 AM

I forgot to mention the quest for a nice fishing rod in Auberdine. On the beach, almost under the pier is a quest. One of the Pagle family offers the quest, not to mention the xp that it gives.

Posted by Kathleen at May 3, 2006 05:14 AM

Thanks for the guide bro. Helped a lot.
Oh for everyone else, I don't get it. Personally I ama 60 tauren druid, and from what I can see, the horde and alliance are exactly the same. There are good players and bad players on both sides, assholes and jerks the same. The only difference I have noticed is that usually there are more alliance than horde players on most servers. That's it.

Posted by Figarow at May 14, 2006 09:12 AM

This is cool, you have to try it. I guessed 21088, and this game guessed it! See it here - http://www.funbrain.com/guess/

Posted by Allison Trump at May 23, 2006 11:58 PM

you have to laugh at Muertelo above. He's pissed because he tried to gangk some guy only to get gangked himself. What goes around comes around, dick ears.

Posted by Huckberry at June 1, 2006 05:54 PM

Thats right. I love to pounce on horde. They love to gank lowbie players. Poetic Justice , Gotta love it!

Posted by Saitek at June 12, 2006 01:57 PM

Posted by Saitek at June 12, 2006 01:58 PM

This message is for Ryan from the alliance, HORDE is not spoon fed so go roll a pally and bubble hearth your way out of here you retard

Posted by Raven at July 23, 2006 09:24 AM

WoW requires zero skill, thus both sides are spoon-fed. Alli gank lowbies just as much as Horde do. The only difference is that the Alliance is a parody of fascist supremacy while the Horde is a parody of free-willed autonomy, and really, who wants to be a fascist?

Posted by Dreadgaze at July 30, 2006 01:51 PM

Great guide! But I found along the way that my fishing skill grew a whole lot faster than my cooking! But it's all good!

Posted by Tazman at August 10, 2006 03:55 AM

Decent guide but its incompleted, why didn't you just titles it, Clapperoth's Guide to Reaching Level 300 Cooking and 2?? Fishing in a Single Day, because you didn't give us anything to actually fully reach 300 in fishing, just to say hopefully God have mercy on us, what the hell is that?

Posted by TyBudd at September 25, 2006 08:22 PM

First of all, DO NOT tell allies to join the horde. Their impurities ruin our might and perfection. Behold the might of the horde. You alliance zealots will only win PVP because of your numbers/60s vs 30s. A 1 on 1 between an ally and a horde of the same class, horde will win

Posted by Hordie at November 16, 2006 12:43 AM

"Clapperoth's Guide to Reaching Level 300 Cooking and Fishing in a Single Day"

The guide do in no way deliver what it says, you are lacking
majorly in telling people where to go to obtain 300 fishing.

Sorry, I wouldn't call this guide anything close to be completed and it
it purely a embarrassment that you even posted this here as a guide.

Any idiot can fish to 100+ inside a city, then use that fish and cook to 100+,
then go out in the wild at a "higher level" area and fish with ammo and
get skills up to 200+.

Basically this guide says "Go fish in city, go ratchet, go BB, now I leave you hanging! muha!"

Bad guide, /ratedown