January 23, 2006

Plug and Play Sega Games

Plug and Play Sega Games

I'm a big fan of those TV Game Systems where they cram a whole bunch of classic arcade and home games into a tiny controller. So far many of these games have been hit or miss, but on for the most part the selection of games has been surprisingly good.

Well it's about to get a whole bunch better as Sega has just announced that they're jumping onto the TV game system bandwagon! Details are a bit vague right now but two systems should be available in April, a 10-in-1 and 20-in-1 system. Games to be included are 7 Sonic games, 5 Alex Kidd games, 2 Phantasy Star games, and a whole lot of others (a total of 48 games are available for license right now).

The retail price is expected to be $29.95 for the 10-in-1 game systems, and at least $39.95 for the 20-in-1 systems. These should be available in April through Asiantoysource.com as well as other stores.

I don't know about you, but getting the chance to replay the two Phantasy Star games again, two of the best RPGs ever made, is worth the price of admission alone. Yeah 21st century technology!

Posted by Gaming Steve at 02:00 PM | Comments (11) | Posted to Classic | Add this story to del.icio.us
Comments

Excellent! Will there be 2 player capabilities? I always used to go to my friend's house and play Sonic for hours with him. I don't want to miss out on the 2 player stuff.

Posted by 762 at January 23, 2006 03:52 PM

I've tried three of these 'plug in to TV' systems and all three were junk. One was a Dance-Dance-type game and it died in minutes (and smelled horrible). The graphics were glitchy and the sound very choppy.

It could be that I just have bad luck with them, but I'm about $50 in the hole now... so I'm done.

-Lego

Posted by Legodragonxp at January 23, 2006 05:35 PM

My bro bought something like this a while back. It played about 7 or 8 games from the sega genesis, but the only one worth playing was sonic 1.

Anyway, I'll probably buy this. Sounds good

Posted by Sub at January 23, 2006 05:37 PM

I wonder if there is one of these that has River Raid on it... I love River Raid. This version just isn't cutting it. http://absolutist.com/online/riverraid/

Steve will flame me for saying this but I liked the Atari 2600 Joystick (especially for River Raid) and I played the heck out of them and never broke one. I used them longer than most too because they also worked with my C64 once the Atari 2600 was past its prime, its joysticks lived on.

-Prognosticator

Posted by Prognosticator at January 23, 2006 11:35 PM

I love the original Phantasy Star games! Even after the advancement in technology in video games, Phantasy Star 1 for the original Sega Master System is still my most favorite RPG of all RPGs. Maybe it's the nostalgic aspect of the game, but regardless, it was revolutionary at the time and is still definitely a classic. I wish that Sega would translate and port their remakes for the PS2 over to the US. Every Phantasy Star fan deserves the right to play the original games of the series.

Posted by gamer1 at January 24, 2006 12:33 AM

If Buck Rogers comes out on any of these I want it. I swapped my Sega megadrive and games for a Nintendo and games many years ago and always did miss playing Buck Rogers, a great rpg.

Posted by swerv at January 24, 2006 05:43 AM

Yeah, I loved the Phantasy Star games. I actually got the Phantasy Star collection for GBA, and had to get a gameboy player for my cube just so I could relive the saga. :)

Posted by Peter at January 24, 2006 05:47 AM

WOW, its cool idea, i like this stuff.

I wanted that thing, that show me Phantasy Star Games directly on TV Screen.

Well, but i need Phantasy Star Gaiden and Adevnture in English Language, its cooler than the devil (°Y°)))

Posted by benOire at February 3, 2006 08:20 AM

Is it going to have two player capabilites?

Posted by Lee at March 2, 2006 10:19 AM

Prognosticator: if you want River Raid, you really should get yourself an Atari Flashback 2 console. They're great -- 40 games on the thing, both old and new, and 2 authentic-feeling sticks.

Posted by Hugh Jass at April 12, 2006 11:01 PM

Are you sure 10851 of this?!?

Posted by Gezer Gamadi at October 3, 2006 10:26 AM