December 05, 2005

Gaming Steve Episode 29 - 12.05.2005

Auto AssaultIn this special Gaming Steve episode I sit down with Scott Brown and Ryan Seabury from NetDevil, the makers of the upcoming Auto Assault. In the interview we cover the game's setting, the three player races, the character creation process, new features in the public Beta, the crafting, the weapons, the cars, and the oh-so-much-fun mindless destruction. Enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 29 Program

• 00:07:04 GameTalk: Interview with Scott Brown and Ryan Seabury from NetDevil, the makers of the upcoming Auto Assault.
  • 00:28:52 Show Mail: I answer your gaming questions.
  • 00:45:04 Final Thoughts on developing games in chilly Colorado.
Download the show (48 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 29 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 06:00 PM | Comments (15) | Posted to Interview | MMORPG | PC | Podcast | Add this story to del.icio.us
Comments

Great job Steve I cant wait to get this game

Posted by Matthew Moore at December 5, 2005 06:08 PM

Quite Frankly, that was a very Interesting show. ;)

Posted by Deep Lee at December 6, 2005 12:50 AM

Don't like shows cut into pieces, but it was a nice show. But I think Steve is at his best when he begins to say the word: "interesting..."
LOL!!!

Posted by M34 at December 6, 2005 07:56 AM

As an ex-Jumpgate player I have to say I will be avoiding auto assult. Jumpgate began its life as one of the most immersive MMO's I've ever played. Their was an actual story constantly going on and an actual RP that had an effect on the game, but after the initial rush NetDevil started updating their site less and less often, ops all but ceased to exist. They promised a free expansion download that would add a ton of things the players had been asking for (Player run stations etc) but took over four years (If I remember correctly) to release claiming testing issues. Once it was finally released it was filled with bugs, and was completely unbalanced. After that, the game began to hemmorage players. Instead of trying to repair the problems we had they tried to get new players buy essentially offering them a level 30 Character (Which in the game is where a character can actually begin to be effective) to new characters. Imagine finding a level 30 Character in WoW that doesn't even know the basics of play.
Any game that Net Devil releases is going to probably be a great game on release, but I'm not playing anything they do until I know their not going to stop updating the game a year later

Posted by Ryan Brown at December 6, 2005 08:31 AM

Oh please, that's not even remotely right. Ep 2 didn't take 4 years - JG has only been on the market for 4 years -=total=- it was in beta for a year or 2 before making it a 6 year old game and EP2 came out about halfway through it's life. The live events and the the promises you're talking about were/are the responsibility of the Themis group not NetDevil. They're the ones that stopped giving you live events, not the developers. I wonder if that's why NetDevil isn't working with Themis on AA.

as for the level 30 thing you might want to come clean and give everyone the truth. You should tell these people that Jumpgate is a game of skill. There are no stats, all level gets you is what ships you can fly. That doesn't dictate how well you do or what equipment you can use. It's nothing like your WOW scenario at all; whether a person is good or not has nothing to do with what level they are and everything to do with how well they fly. In Jumpgate it's not hard to find a high level player who can't fly worth a *@$! despite having played straight through all those levels instead of using the upgrade program thing.

I could go off about how you saying they don't or didn't put out upgrades is also another total and complete lie, but this is already longer than it needs to be. I'll simply say that Istvan puts out updates -=regularly=- It's a shame you're too busy talking *@$! to see that.

I get that the game went a direction you don't like and I can even relate but why be a hater? Why not just say "I used to love the game but they made changes that I didn't like so I quit. I may never play another NetDevil game because of it." Look it even takes less time than your pedantic web of fabrications and invective!

Posted by (Paranthetical) at December 6, 2005 10:47 AM

Nice! That was a great interview. Very cool.

I didn't even know they were in CO. Where exactly?

Posted by TheShark at December 6, 2005 11:50 AM

You know, Parenthetical strikes me as a Jumpgate zealot. End the conspiracy of lies, Steve, and reveal the truth that JG is far superior to all other games. End the conspiracy!!

All kidding aside, in INTERESTING show. I was entertained and it didn't cost me a dime. That's a bargain in my book!

Posted by SharpMonkey at December 6, 2005 12:14 PM

Aw yeah, JG was the best! :)
Can't wait to see what ND does with AA, this genre is needing something.. Interesting :D

Posted by Godfodder at December 6, 2005 01:48 PM

Despite(or perhaps because) of the fact that Auto Assault is something "new" for the MMO market, it will ultimately end up as a niche title at best. I think it would have a much larger audience as a console title.

I actually got a beta invite for it last week(though I don't recall signing up for it), but just dont have the interest to bother downloading it.

Posted by Derella at December 6, 2005 09:01 PM

Has anyone else experienced problems with the RSS feed? I have deleted and readded, but still no luck. I am using Sage 1.3.6 with Firefox 1.5. All my other feeds work fine...I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks.

Posted by Jim Shaker at December 7, 2005 10:13 AM

Great show, first time i heae of this site,
Added to my rss feeds now.

Thanks :)

Posted by Marc-andre at December 7, 2005 11:02 AM

Just a quick note on your discussion of online game rental services in this week's show:

If you do live in California, I would HIGHLY recommend Gamefly as a video game rental service. Shipping times are always a consistent 2 days for me and they have a program with the US Postal Service where if your post office is properly equipped, Gamefly will be notified of your return as soon as it is scanned by USPS, and they will begin shipping your next game before they have your return back (a feature I wish Netflix would add...)

On top of that, their selection and availability is very good, and they carry games for all current systems (GC, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, GBA, and DS). Additionally, if you rent a game from them and decide you want to keep it, they have a feature where for most games you can just click a button on their site and they will charge your credit card and ship you the game's box and instruction manual. It beats the hell out of buying used games at Gamestop or EB, since the packaging is always in pristine condition and you essentially get to play the game as long as you want before deciding to buy it.

Combined with Netflix, you will never need to visit Blockbuster again, which in my book is a very good thing.

Posted by Ethan Knoop at December 9, 2005 12:56 PM

I'm confused about the XBOX 360 "backwards compatibility debacle" in your comments in this podcast. You said a major problem Microsoft is facing for BC is a whole new chipset for the XBOX 360 vs the XBOX. That makes sense, so why doesn't Sony face this problem with the PS3?

Posted by Dylan Greene at December 10, 2005 05:05 AM

The issue with the "backwards capability" has to do with the graphic chipset in the 360 and the standard Xbox. NVIDIA provided the chipset for the Xbox and ATI provides the chipset for the 360. Since the Xbox is basically a mini-computer imagine that you bought a computer four years ago and every single game you bought would only work using an NVIDIA card. Now move forward four years where you bought a new computer using an ATI card, so none of your old games will work on it since they can use ATI's graphic drivers. The only way you can get them to work is to run an emulation of your old computer on your new computer.

That is what basically happened with the Xbox and the 360. Playstation doesn't have this problem since they use the same graphic chipsets and drivers from system to system.

Posted by Gaming Steve at December 10, 2005 11:01 AM

Steve, I know that the XBOX and 360 use different graphics chips from different manufactures, but once again, how is this different for Sony?

- PS2: custom chip from Sony
- PS3: custom chip from NVIDIA

The more difficult problem, I would think, is the change in CPU architecture.

I guess Sony could do the system-on-a-chip thing, where every PS3 basically includes a PS2 on the motherboard. This would add to cost of an already prohibitively expensive machine, but would ensure that a large subset of the current library would continue working.

Posted by Dylan Greene at December 10, 2005 05:09 PM