November 18, 2005

Gaming Steve Episode 27 - 11.18.2005

City of Villains - Dominator with Venus FlytrapWelcome to the bonus episode of Gaming Steve. This was actually part of the last episode but it was so big that I had to cut it into two. Make sure to listen to the details on the Gaming Steve T-Shirt design contest and join our Frappr! family. Enjoy the bonus goodness!

Gaming Steve Episode 27 Program

• 00:04:02 Game News:
    • PlayStation 3 won't play borrowed, used, or rented games?
    • Jack leaves on his own terms.
    • World domination of Warcraft continues.
    • Man profits from virtual island.
    • 360s in short supply.
    • 360 to play 200+ Xbox games in US but ...
    • ... Japan only gets 12 games and ...
    • ... Europe gets 156 games.
    • Xbox 360 midnight madness.
    • Darwinian evolves onto Steam.
    • Nintendo Wi-Fi hits speed bump.
    • EA slashes prices.
    • What is ... World of Warcraft?
    • Rare's Perfect gamble.
  • 00:42:10 GameTalk: How is the industry changing?
  • 01:03:04 SporeTalk: Tell me what you want to hear.
  • 01:08:08 Game Review: City of Villains for the PC.
  • 01:24:39 RetroReview: Chiller for the arcade.
  • 01:33:15 RetroReview: Death Race for the arcade.
  • 01:36:10 “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and a mystery prize!
  • 01:42:53 Final Thoughts on Gaming Steve Frappr, the T-Shirt design contest, help me in testing out iTunes, and my Xbox 360 coverage next week.
Download the show (112 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 27 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 2:00 PM | Comments (23) | Posted to Classic | PC | Podcast | Review | Spore |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

Wingo!

More things to listen to!

112 minutes of satisfaction!

Posted by PatMan33 at November 18, 2005 2:56 PM

Another great podcast Steve! I really enjoyed your GameTalk. It was pretty "interesting". :-)

Thanks for a great show!

Posted by Pilot4Life at November 18, 2005 8:47 PM

Posted by Reen at November 18, 2005 10:19 PM

"Did everyone hear that, contrary to what this podcast says, Jack Thompson actually did get kicked off of the case (his withdrawal was rejected) according to Game Politics?"

Wow, I just checked Game Politics and you are correct. This news broke after I recorded the show so what I mentioned was older news, but that is going to definitely put a crimp into Jack's anti-game crusade.

Posted by Gaming Steve at November 18, 2005 10:28 PM

Hey Steve. Good news on Mario Kart DS. You don't have to buy the official Nintendo Wifi adapter. Any wireless router will work just fine.

Posted by ShinKaiser at November 19, 2005 1:48 AM

Hey Steve, I enjoyed your "Game Talk" segment this week. I think it's great for the industry (as far as consumers and developers are concerned; not so much for retailers) that more and more developers are looking toward digital distribution to get their products out.

I also think that it is important to mention that digital distribution doesn't apply only to video games. Music continues to be a frontrunner in digital distribution through iTunes and now Television programs are signing on to release their programs through apple's service.

I believe that shortly we will start seeing movies being (legally) distributed over the net in the near future, for obvious reasons. (Most of which you touched on during the show.) Think of all the independent movies that rarely see the light of day beyond sundance.

Looking forward to the day where I download and stream most of my media over the net, just as Bill Gates predicted.

-Tre

Posted by Tre at November 19, 2005 1:56 AM

That PlayStation 3 won't play borrowed, used, or rented games news is gone now sony said they are quiting the idea anywhos ill be listening to it soon

Posted by brian at November 19, 2005 4:41 AM

Haven't listened yet, but I would love to know how many times he uses the word "interesting". Steve's variety in vocabulary resembles that of 11 year old. And take in the fact that it's video game talk, I start to wonder, if only for a minute, what sort of education he has.

Posted by Stentorian at November 19, 2005 5:54 AM

Yea there's no way the PS3 wont play used games. Sony (and pretty much every company like them) have millions of these patents. Most patents don't even get turned into anything tangible.

Posted by Khash at November 19, 2005 12:28 PM

Hey Steve - concerning your comments about the 360's backwards compatible 'patches', I have to say, what did you expect? There's not much sense wasting space on the Hard Drive and going to the trouble of putting on all the emulation profiles in production plants when people can just have their Xbox 360 fetch the required ones off Live whenever they play. After all, silver Live is free.

These aren't really patches in the sense that they're required to play the games, but that's clearly the cost of Microsoft's move to a completely different hardware setup. Also, unlike PC patches it's all automatic if you have a broadband connection with your 360 hooked up. There's no slow extracting, patching kernels and all the usually hoopla found with PC game patches. That said, whilst I'd like to play any of my Xbox games from day 1 out of the box, I think I'll be more concerned with playing new stuff like PGR3. Also, concerning having to 'patch' 360 games - I can't see it happening. It looks bad for MS and if people can't get connected to Live, they're screwed. Plus it's just not necessary, after all, MS have very high QA levels for Xbox and 360 games, so there really shouldn't be any patches for 360 games at all, unless people find exploits in Live multiplayer, in which case they'll be needed.

As for the preorder situation, it's not a good one for MS or retailers, but it's not just Microsoft's fault - retailers are at fault as well, for taking reams of preorders without any idea how many units they'd actually receive, and given MS are launching in all the major territories within a month, shortages have to be expected. I imagine it'll be the exact same situation with PS3.

Posted by GunForHire at November 19, 2005 2:21 PM

Yea, all of these major launches end up the same. Way more preorders then units. Thats just the way it is. They can't make the units fast enough. Same thing happened to the PS2 and the system was still a major success. The same thing will happen to the PS3.

Posted by Khash at November 19, 2005 3:37 PM

appealing, attractive, charming, compelling, delightful, engaging, engrossing, enticing, glamorous, gripping, intriguing, irresistible, riveting, fascinating, cool, acceptable, all right, ample, appropriate, beneficial, common, convenient, decent, desirable, favorable, fit, fitting, helpful, needed, profitable, proper, respectable, right, satisfying, suitable, tolerable, wholesome

There's some adjectives for you. Maybe try using a new one in each podcast ;)

Posted by Jack at November 19, 2005 5:32 PM

Some screens of Chiller.

Posted by KrAzYmAn at November 19, 2005 7:35 PM

I played that game chiller:D it was pretty disgusting

Posted by Ripperrim at November 20, 2005 7:20 PM

I've read that the pre-order fiasco was the retailers fault because Microsoft specifically told them not to accept *any* preorders since MS didn't know what their yield would be at launch, but retailers like Gamestop/EBX accepted preorders anyway figuring that if they told Microsoft they needed x number of machines, microsoft would send x machines.

While your opinion on this issue is appreciated, I was hoping you'd do research and tell us who's really at fault.

It just doens't add up that Microsoft would "hold back 360's to show demand" when they would have sold out of them anyway, and Christmas shopping season starts now, so it's a perfect time to have as many in stores as possible.

Posted by Dylan Greene at November 21, 2005 3:13 AM

from what i hear, in the UK they have the first batch on the 2nd and then get re-stocked on the 12th. This is smart because if they have little supply on the 2nd it will make news, sell out and become wanted then if they restock on the 12th then that will sell more than it probably would've without the sellout on the 2nd

Posted by Ripperrim at November 21, 2005 4:30 AM

Dylan, I have not heard that, but that does sound correct now that I think about it (that Microsoft told the retailers not to accept pre-orders). Especially since many of the larger retailers, such as Best Buy and Circuit City, didn't accept pre-orders until after they got their allocations. So I would think that Gamestop/EB tried to estimate the number of units they were going to receive and then did a best guess when they accepted pre-orders. Of course, they were way off with their estimates.

I can try to "ask around" on this topic but I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere since Gamestop/EB won't say anything. I'll try to see if I can find out anything today as I'm talking to Best Buy tonight anyhow, so maybe they'll have some insight.

Also if you do it correctly you hold back units to both generate huge demand and yet at the same time sell out your inventory. Apple does this perhaps better than anyone right now

Posted by Gaming Steve at November 21, 2005 9:36 AM

Steve,

You are way off the mark on BC and the downloading of patches - The patches only take a few seconds to DL and have been around for xbox for a while most xbox games will have patches to play on live. Its not hard and easy to do.

Users that dont use live will not need to DL patchs to play 360 games.

Also GS and EB did over push presales and are putting the blame on MS. They are the only ones getting shorted Best Buy and others are getting large shipments of 360s

Posted by BigWurm at November 21, 2005 12:46 PM

Actually what I was talking about was that you needed to download the patches in order to play original Xbox games on the 360 ... I wasn't talking about playing 360 games on the 360.

Also Best Buy is not receiving large shipments. Take Manhattan for example, all four Manhattan Best Buys are getting a total of 480 units (120 units each store), for a city of 8 million people. That ain't going to cut it. And the when Circuit City sold the Xbox 360 last Friday their web site crashed it was receiving so many orders. Everyone is getting shorted this right now, but it should get better in 2-3 weeks.

Posted by Gaming Steve at November 21, 2005 12:57 PM

Steve,

Loved the show and just wanted to mention a couple of occasions where gaming companies have used other media formats to get there name across.

Rebellion Studios in the UK wanted the license to Judge Dredd from 2000AD (in my youth everybody read that comic book and was the starting ground for Alan Moore your Who watches the watchmen quote reminded me of him!), they found out that the total licence and company were for sale so they bought the comic and now own the IPR on all characters, this stands at around 700 different items.

The other one is Yukes, the japanese creators of the WWF/E games on the PS2, well they are now the new owners of New Japan Wrestling, which in Japan is still the number one wrestling brand still have mainstream coverage and although they are on the downward slide are still bigger than WWE will ever be, of course that's just my opinion!

Posted by karoum at November 21, 2005 3:33 PM

Regarding xBox Arcade and "indie" games:

"So if you wanted to play an older Xbox game and you are not a member of Live you will either need to join Live in order play the original Xbox game that you bought, or you will need to download the patch via the web and create a CD. That is what I was talking about."

Personally I think the 360 should come pre-installed with some of the emulators, for at least all the games that are on that list MS just put out.

Seems odd to me that they can't just emulate the original xBox in its entirety, what this whole game-by-game basis with the emulation? Is there a reasonable technical reason or is it all just a ploy to get more Live subscribers? Or both?

Posted by Gregg at November 21, 2005 5:45 PM

Loved the interview and review of City of Villians. I've been enjoying it myself. Some of the player character designs are QUITE odd and unique. And it does play into your other comment --- I have seen players playing UGLY characters in this game. LOTS of them...

Posted by Mark Brinkman at November 22, 2005 12:06 AM

I was also dissapointed in all the fuss made over the fact that you have to download software to emulate older Xbox games. I mean come on it is as simple as when anyone on Xbox live ever logged in and had to update their dashboard. It justs says "You have an update that you need before playing this game" You press ok and then it is done and over with. EXTREMELY painless, a monkey could do it. I went and looked at making a CD, extremely easy.

This to me is not like PCs having to patch their current software over and over again. This is for titles on a last generation system.

I could see being upset over populat titles like Burnout and such for not being on the list but to go on a tangent about the process of getting the information seemed like it came out of left field and was not as thought out as most of your comments.

I was very dissapointed.