June 23, 2005

Gaming Steve Episode 15 - 06.23.2005

Total AnnihilationSo the long, slow, hot days of Summer are upon us, what better time to listen to the latest show, where I cover:

• Halo the movie ... the Microsoft way or no way!
  • More Resident Evil movies planned.
  • World of Warcraft keeps growing and growing...
  • The Matrix Online ... sold!
  • Don't buy this violent video game, even though it's not out yet and nobody has played it.
  • THQ to publish Supreme Commander, hell yeah!
  • Some interesting game releases this week.
  • GameTalk: How to get a job in the game industry -- Part 2.
  • SporeTalk: So ... now what?
  • Quicktake: Early impressions of Dungeon Siege II for the PC.
  • In-depth review of Kirby: Canvas Curse for the Nintendo DS.
  • RetroReview: Total Annihilation for the PC.
  • “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and a new prize!
  • Plus some more random thoughts on playing older games.
Get the podcast from this page (87 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 15.

You can also subscribe to the weekly podcast.

Posted by Gaming Steve at 10:00 AM | Comments (10) | Posted to Podcast | Preview | Review | Spore |  Add this story to del.icio.us  Stumble It!  Submit this story to Digg!
Comments

Heya Steve,

I beta tested Matrix Online and I guess I'm allowed to talk about it now that it's out. I can tell you why the sales were so abysmal. This is a TERRIBLE game. Every time I tried to play it, it was full of game-stopping glitches including some that caused hard lockups. It also wasn't any fun. The entire game seemed to be about looking cool and beating up well-dressed hackers on the street. Yes, the first enemy I encountered was a hacker with a submachinegun and a very nice suit.

It had some very interesting elements, such as the skill and weapon system. Unfortunately, it was marred by being in a horrible, horrible game.

Posted by Lobster at June 23, 2005 10:47 AM

I know there is no way to prove it, but I so F'ing called it that you would have Total Annihilation on the next show! Been playing it alot myself recently. Lots of fun. Now to find the expansion packs somewhere......

Posted by Zaphod at June 23, 2005 11:03 AM

Told ya it would have Supreme commander (ok maybe I didn't make as big a prediction as zaphod)

Posted by Indum at June 23, 2005 11:06 AM

Ok, I am digging this show! The TA love is great, and the way you just giving up the info about WOW and Dungeon Siege 2. [/p]
How to get a job. I always wanted to be in the industry until I was a Junior in high school when I realized I did not want to code all day, and engineering was a lot of fun too. Good encouragement for those who still want in. I think that either the industry is going to change a lot or that it’s going to crash again. Nice emphasis on the networking issue. This is true in every industry. (Note to self: Join ASME) I like the info on the resumes.

Wow, total Spore tease. You’re such a flirt Steve.

Dungeon Siege. Great game, but got old about half way through. Never finished it. It defiantly played itself, and 8 characters were too much. I personally got too hard later on. Took to long to progress. Good to hear DS2 is going to be better. Auto-spells sound great. I believe they had some auto-spells in the original though, at least with healing and attacking. August, not to long now. August sounds like its going to be a great month.

Kirby Canvas Curse. Well I like the DS a lot more than you, but that’s besides the point. KCC is the first DS game I am actually thinking of getting. So far I have just been using it to play GBA games.

Total Annihilation. The good stuff. To clarify the story. The Core has said that everyone must move their consciousness to a robot. The Arm is resisting this, they are actually humans inside of robot suits and such. The war has been going on for 4000 years. Interesting about the unit balance. The hovercrafts must be in the expansions. No interface? Did you forget about the side panel, or could you take it off some how? Good review. Some things were inaccurate, but it still gets the point across. The build tree is Commander > Basic Factory > Basic Constructor > Advanced Factory > Advanced Constructor > Advanced Structures.

Name that game. I so want that styles. Hope it’s a game I know. I think I do.

Wrap up. Deffinatly into the old games. Playing Earthbound, Super Mario Sunshine, Total Annihilation, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. Defiantly start playing Metroid Prime 2, its fantastic.

Posted by Zaphod at June 23, 2005 2:25 PM

These Podcasts are getting longer and longer!

And I just love it!

Posted by PatMan33 at June 23, 2005 3:52 PM

Looks like someone is trying to get a betatestspot for Supreme Commander. LoL was indeed a Chris Taylor show! :) Hope it works out for you! :D

Anyway enjoyed the show!

Posted by CustodianV131 at June 25, 2005 2:44 AM

Casual gamer lured by your Spore coverage here. I am too busy for games now, but when I get back I will also be checking out some older games like Planescape:Torment and Creatures 3. Although I am not into strategy games in general, King of Dragon Pass seems to have just about everything I ever wanted in a strategy game. I might buy that and try it some time too.

Posted by hoppingsnail at June 25, 2005 6:09 PM

I know how you feel about old games. Just this week I was playing SMB 3 and the original Crash Bandicoot. Although both are decent games, it is mostly for the nostalgia.

As for finishing 90% of a game, I know exactly what you mean. I do it all the time with books. Can't exactly say why, though.

Posted by Jeremy at June 27, 2005 3:56 PM

This was my first exposure to your Podcast. Your show is excellent and very professional. Because I linked to your show via iTunes, I suspect your listeners will increase dramatically.

A comment on your GameTalk: I'd like to reaffirm that knowing people who know people is key to any career path, and admission to better colleges. I strongly suspect my dad's golfing partners were beneficial in both. And as for the lower positions, I caddied for some of those golfers. It is money, after all.

On your way up the career ladder, applying for jobs organizationally or geographically close to your goal job is a good strategy if you don't yet qualify for your next goal job.

Posted by Robert Gauss at June 29, 2005 1:08 PM

Naga I believe.

They where the ones that could swim and slither on land in Warcraft III.

Posted by Dragon at June 30, 2005 8:33 PM